2015 was a great year. I became a dad and was one of the first globally to implement a new analytics technology. My only goal last year was to try my best as a new dad. It’s now time to make resolutions again for 2016.
I identify each of the roles I play in life — dad, husband, career, self — and break those down to find what my core values are. A newborn consumes all discretionary time, so the first question for each resolution is “is this actually important”. I used to have “grow a vegetable garden” as a resolution. I hate gardening, and it’s not important in my life, so it’s off the list.
I love visual progress, when I lost 40kg I kept an exercise diary and would each day draw a new link in a chain for consecutive days of exercise, I didn’t want to break the chain! This year I’m using “Way of Life” app for the first time. It’s easy and lightweight, and has graphs!
Way of Life app to track progress.
- Full Ironman Cairns in June — Sub 11 hr finish
- 2 hours rostered exercise per day, 6 days a week — follow the training plan! (Training Peaks, Strava)
- Plant based diet 6 out of 7 days.
- Spend more one-on-one time with my 1 year old son. Every weekend take him on rides, hikes and walks and give my wife some personal time.
- Read 15 minutes each night (Goodreads)
- Plan everyday for 10 minutes in the morning (Nozbe)
- Roster everything (Fantastical)
- Learn Python 2 hours per week (Code Academy)
- Take more photos, make more videos
- Solo cycle tour in Thailand
Career (Our company has just been acquired by a large multinational)
- Work more, do more (Pomodoro Technique)
- Understand our role in the new company and market
Coming up with these I have to cast my head forward 12 months and say “If I accomplish all of these, will I feel satisfied I’ve made the most of my year”.
Have a great 2016!